- Download Video
Sources/Usage : public Domain .
This video highlights some of the USGS’s work during the busy 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season, which was the third most-active season on record. Forecasters are predicting the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season will be another above-average season. View audio described version.
Forecasters are calling for an above average hurricane season this class, which could mean 2022 might be the one-seventh above-average temper in a course. There is a 65 % opportunity of an above-normal season, a 25 % probability of a near-normal season and a 10 % prospect of a below-normal season, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Climate Prediction Center ’ mho 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season prognosis. NOAA ’ s forecast calls for 14 to 21 named storms with winds of 39 miles per hour or higher, with six to 10 of those possibly becoming hurricanes with winds of 74 miles per hour or higher, and three to six possibly becoming major hurricanes with winds of 111 miles per hour or higher .
When a hurricane or tropical ramp threatens to make landfall in the U.S. or its territories, the USGS has a suite of comprehensive scientific capabilities that can inform decision-makers, emergency managers and communities as they prepare for, react to and recover from a storm. This includes the USGS ’ s ability to forecast coastal change ; track storm surge, river and current levels and stream ; bill coastal and inland implosion therapy across entire regions ; determine the extent floodwaters may have spread non-native species ; and coordinate and provide access to hazards data, tools, imagination, elevation data, maps, and other pertinent data used by local, state of matter, and federal agencies responding to storms .
With the 2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season officially started, the USGS will be sharing a weekly serial through early July highlighting USGS hurricane science that could be used to inform decisions that can help keep people and communities safe. Topics will include :
- Storm tide poses one of the most serious threats to people and infrastructure
- Changes to the coastline can affect where, and how severely flooding occurs
- Hurricanes may pose a threat to people along the coasts and far inland
- Hurricanes can spread invasive species if they survive the ride
- Determining how high flood waters reached helps communities prepare for future floods
- Maps and imagery for hurricane response
Come back adjacent week to learn about storm tide, why it ’ south dangerous and how USGS skill provides valuable data to help understand this devastating military unit .
* Editor’s note: The effigy at the top shows Hurricane Henri on August 21, 2021, moving north toward New England where it made landfall as a tropical storm August 22, 2021, in Rhode Island .
Be Prepared for the 2022 Hurricane Season!
People looking for information on how to prepare for hurricanes, or a range of other disasters and emergencies, can visit ready.gov or listo.gov. For more data about USGS science or hurricanes, visit these websites :
USGS Hurricanes – USGS Hurricane related science and outreach products for current and past storms
USGS Coastal Change Hazards : Hurricanes and Extreme Storms – Provides data on coastal transfer
USGS National Water Dashboard – Allows easy entree to local flood tide and weather information on a smartphone or computer
USGS Flood Information – Provides information about current and past deluge
USGS WaterAlert – Sends e-mail or text messages from the USGS streamgage of your choice
USGS WaterWatch – Provides current USGS water data for the state
USGS Flood Event Viewer – Provides convenient, map-based access to downloadable event-based data
USGS Flood and Storm Tracker Maps – Allows users to view on-line maps of where storms might have spread non-native aquatic species
NOAA ’ s National Hurricane Center – Offers information about current or past hurricanes