Notices will soon be mailed to place owners whose respect increased from 2021 to 2022. While many owners feel the values of place have decreased, the data throughout Texas does not support a decrease. record interest rates and people moving to Texas from other states have driven up the demand for all types of house. unfortunately, the Appraisal District must keep pace with the increases in order for local schools to receive wax fund and to comply with equal and uniform tax income .
property owners should review their notice of rate. This year, the comment focuses on value only. The often-incorrect tax estimates have been removed and the information will be sent late for those comparisons along with the meeting dates and times of local tax units to set their budgets. A postcard will be mailed to you with this data in August. This is a statewide switch by the 2019 Legislature .
When a property owner looks at the prize proposed by the appraisal zone, they should ask themselves if their place would probably sell for that come. If not, they should file a protest on the mannequin that will be enclosed. The deadline for charge is 30 days from the date of the poster mailing. They will receive a call from the local appraisal district to discuss the prize colloquially or they may be scheduled for an in-person meeting. If the taxpayer is not accordant after the share of data between the appraisal zone and them, then they have a correct to appeal to the Appraisal Review Board ( ARB ), a group of local citizens who live in the appraisal zone and have been appointed by the local anesthetic Appraisal District Board of Directors. They will listen to the evidence provided by both parties and decide based on the preponderance of the tell presented. The taxpayer may appeal the findings of the ARB to District Court or arbitration.
The issues that may be protested admit :
- The appraised or market value of the property
- Unequal appraisal of the owner’s property
- Inclusion of the property on the appraisal records
- Denial of a partial exemption such as a homestead exemption
- Determination that agricultural or timberland designation has been denied
- Determination that agricultural of timberland has had a change of use and is subject to a rollback tax
- Identification of the taxing unit or taxing units in which the property is located
- Determination that the taxpayer is the owner of the property
- Any other action of the appraisal district office or the ARB that adversely affects the owner
The ARB schedules a hear and sends the protesting place owner written notification of the date, time, and identify of the hear. The law contains particular timelines and procedures for both the property owner and the ARB through the appraisal protest process .
Copies are available from Howard County Appraisal District at 315 S. Main St. Suite A, Big Spring, Texas, on our web site at www.howardcad.org or from the Comptroller ’ s Property Tax Assistance Division web site at comptroller.texas.gov/property-tax/
Additional local information can be obtained by contacting HCAD at 432-263-8301 .